"Simon & Associates long-standing reputation as an expert in sustainability consulting is unparalleled. Consultation with Heller Manus Architects on high profile Bay Area projects such as Emeryville Marketplace, the first LEED ND Platinum project and 555 Mission, San Francisco's first LEED CS Gold Class A office tower has been borne from teamwork and visionary thinking combined with a practical approach to sustainability consulting."
Simon & Associates’ services include sustainability consulting, LEED consulting and project management, CALGreen consulting, workshop facilitation, owner’s representation, specifications review and materials research, green building policy development
and implementation, speaking engagements, development of guidelines and educational resources, and presentations and trainings.
Pioneers in achieving a high level of sustainability through an integrated design process.
- Set targets for environmental performance and/or benchmarking for sustainable design, construction, and operations
- Coalition builders: Working with owners, design teams, contractors, building managers, and engineers
- Develop the project’s integrated building goals and identifies appropriate strategies to locate appropriate building siting, achieve energy and water savings, improve indoor air quality, and occupant comfort
LEED Consulting & Project Management
S&A successfully guides teams through all of the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
Green Building Rating Systems.
- Use LEED either as a general framework or achieve official LEED certification
- Provide services and tools to assist with LEED registration, documentation, and certification
- Assist building owners and managers with implementing the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance
standard in their facilities and provide assessments of building environmental performance
- Develop and implement practical, cost-effective programs for sustainable operations that enhance property value
and reduce ongoing expenses
- Experienced with integration of LEED credit requirements in historic structures and unique building types
Advises on California's state-wide green building code.
- Provide training for building inspection staff, architects, and contractors
- Integrate Green Building Ordinances (GBO) with CALGreen requirements
- Customize enforcement procedures and provide plan check services for city and county agencies
- Develop CALGreen documentation forms for project teams to submit to local code enforcement agencies
S&A leads and facilitates half-day and full-day green building meetings, workshops, and charrettes.
- Develop and prioritize a project’s sustainability goals and strategies
- Expertise in facilitating large and small groups with diverse levels of expertise
- Create positive outcomes that set the foundation for the project
Experience to serve in the role of owner’s representative for sustainability.
- S&A advocates for the owner
- Work with the design and construction team to seek integrated and cost effective solutions
- Overcome permitting or other regulatory obstacles by working directly with agency officials to advance green building systems and technologies
Specifications Review and Materials Research
S&A provides services for inclusion of green materials and language in specifications.
- Address the project’s green performance or prescriptive requirements and any related submittal requirements
- Research and evaluate green building materials and products
- Assist architects, contractors, and building owners with selecting and locating green materials
Green Building Policy Development and Implementation
Advisors to city agencies on the development and implementation of local green building ordinances and policies.
- Research and identify issues to target in local policies and ordinances
- Collaborate with key city officials
- Guidance on implementation of policies and meeting local green building permitting and planning requirements
Speaking Engagements, Trainings, Guidelines, and Publications
At the core of S&A’s philosophy is education on green building strategies, programs, and materials.
- Educate design and building professionals, government agency staff, and students through speaking engagements, presentations, trainings, and lectures
- Development of sustainability guidelines for master planning projects and large-scale development projects, as well as for single buildings. Produces educational publications, tools, and resources for building professionals, building owners, and the general public about green building issues
- Publications of articles, chapter excerpts and a textbook on the fundamentals of integrated building design